Find answers to frequently asked questions.

General FAQs

Contact the Marin County Jail at 415-473-7316. They can advise you if someone has been arrested, the charges, whether or not they will be released on bail, cited or released on their own recognizance and they will also provide bail amount. You may also review the booking log of the Marin County Jail to locate individuals arrested and booked into the County of Marin jail in the last 48 hours who are still in custody, and also a complete list of inmates as of the time the search is run.
For crimes in progress or other life-threatening emergencies, call 911. For non-emergency dispatch, call 415-479-2311.
Contact the Sheriff’s Communications Center at 415-479-2311. If you believe someone is still in your house, leave, call 9-1-1 and wait for a deputy.
Contact the Sheriff’s Communications Center at 415-479-2311.
Contact the California Highway Patrol at 415-924-1100.
For the unincorporated areas of Marin County, contact the California Highway Patrol at 1-800-TELLCHP.
Contact the Sheriff’s Communications Center at 415-479-2311 (24 hours/7 days), or any law enforcement agency with access to the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS).
For crimes reported in the unincorporated areas of Marin County you must contact the Sheriff’s Records Division in person at 1600 Los Gamos Drive, Ste 200, San Rafael, CA 94903. For all others, contact the responsible law enforcement agency.
Contact the Sheriff’s Investigations Division at 415-473-7265. Ensure that you have your report number and can relate where the crime occurred.
Please visit the Small Claims section of this website located within the Documentary Services Division of the Administration and Support Services Bureau.
Please visit the evictions section of this site located within the Documentary Services Division of the Administration and Support Services Bureau.
Please visit the Civil section of this website located within the Documentary Services Division of the Administration and Support Services Bureau.
Primarily, you need to ensure that items taken in a crime are identified as stolen property so they can be returned to you if later located. This relates to physical property, but, just as critically, account numbers and other personal identifying information may be compromised and later used in other crimes. Secondly, many law enforcement crime prevention resources are focused using crime statistics from reported crimes. Thirdly, many insurance companies will not process claims related to crimes without a valid report.
The Sheriff’s Office conducts Fingerprint Live Scan services at 2 locations in Marin County. For a description of the services and fees associated with livescan fingerprinting please view the Fingerprint Live Scan section of the website located within the Documentary Services Division of the Administration and Support Services Bureau.
Contact the Sheriff’s Communications Center for assistance in dealing with neighborhood problems, extra patrols, and vacation house checks.
  • Vacation house checks may be requested online here.
  • Deputies arriving at a crime in progress are often able to accomplish an arrest on the spot. Except for critical situations, crimes reported after-the-fact require detailed gathering of information for investigation. Facts and evidence developed during the investigative process must be sufficient for an arrest warrant to be issued. Often, investigative workload and priorities mean that some cases are not processed as quickly as victims perceive they should be. Knowing who is assigned to your case and providing any additional discovered information is often vital to getting a case resolved.

    AlertMarin FAQs

    The emergency notification system’s primary purpose is to advise you of any situation occurring or about to occur that threatens harm to life and/or property or is deemed dangerous by officials. This may include, but is certainly not limited to, extreme weather, natural or man-made disasters, crime, pandemics, hazardous materials incidents, and missing persons.
    The Marin County’s AlertMarin Emergency Notification System uses listed and unlisted/blocked landline numbers provided by AT&T and Verizon and other commercially available data.
    Many people no longer use landlines and/or rely on their cellular phones or VoIP phones. If you live, work, or go to school in Marin County and are over 18 years old, you may now register your cellular phone number (to receive calls and/or texts), email address, or VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone number on our secure portal to be contacted in an emergency affecting your Marin County geographic location.
    • Yes, you may register up to five addresses.
    • It is recommended that each individual sign up for an account
    • If you listed a primary email address and a secondary email address on one location, you may use the secondary email address as your primary email address for a new location.
    Yes, however, we recommend that you use your email address as user name.
    • Marin County provides this critical service free of charge to enhance public safety. However, receiving a call on your cellular phone may deduct minutes from your cell phone plan. Calls will typically be less than two minutes.
    • Standard message and data rates may apply to each text message sent or received and other charges may apply as defined in your wireless service rate plan. (Please contact your Wireless Carrier for pricing plans and details). You may receive up to thirty SMS message alerts per month.
    No. Self-registrations are unique from, and in addition to, the automatically included landline telephone database.
    Be sure you see the VeriSign® lock symbol next to the URL for the Self-Registration Portal. Marin County respects your privacy. Your contact information will remain confidential. It will never be sold or released for commercial purposes. Emergency notifications will only be issued to specific geographic areas (depending on need).
    The Marin County Sheriff’s Office owns and manages the data collected through the SRP. The integrity of this data will be preserved through the highest level of security maintained within the Everbridge data center. You can rest assured this contact information will remain confidential.
    Should any part of your contact information or address changes, such as your cellular phone number, please log into the Self-Registration Portal and make an update. There is no limit to the number of times you can change your information, and in fact, we urge you to do so as often as necessary.
    • You have a few options. You can go online and sign-up for a free email account through Yahoo mail, Gmail (Google) or Hotmail (MSN). You can also use your cellphone number as an email if you have the ability to receive messages on your phone and accept any charges that may accrue on your account. Emails provided to the county will only be used for notification purposes.
    • Should I expect any further emails or notifications from AlertMarin regarding the registration Process?
    • Users of the previous version (TENS) may have received or may receive a message with instructions to register for the new version of our notification service.
    First, be sure you entered your address correctly. If accurate, you may adjust your location by simply moving the pushpin found on the map. This is accomplished by clicking on the pin and moving your mouse to reflect your proper position.
    The Self-Registration Portal includes a “Forgot my password” option to assist those who cannot recall their login.
    Log into the Self-Registration Portal and find the “Opt Out By” field. You can then enter the date you no longer wish to receive system-generated alerts. If you want to stop communications immediately, delete your profile by logging in and clicking “Delete Your Account.” Please note that opt-out requests are processed monthly by Marin County’s Telephone Emergency Notification system.
    Yes. Log into the Self-Registration Portal and delete the delivery methods from your profile.
    • Absolutely not! The AlertMarin Emergency Notification System (using landlines and your self-registered cell or VoIP numbers) is used in conjunction with other methods of distributing emergency warnings and alerts.
    • No single tool will provide enough warning to all residents in all situations. Each emergency warning method has its limitations. It is always important to pay attention to officials and your surroundings by monitoring local radio, television and web.
    • Preparedness is the key to survival. Marin’s disaster response professionals emphasize the critical importance that all Marin residents be prepared to survive for 5-7 days in their homes following a disaster. Go to ReadyMarin.org to put a plan in place.
    • Learn more about the Community Emergency Response Team in your neighborhood and how to be trained for neighborhood preparedness.
    • Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are emergency messages sent by authorized government alerting authorities through your mobile carrier. Government partners include local and state public safety agencies, FEMA, the FCC, the Department of Homeland Security, and the National Weather Service. Alerts received at the right time can help keep you safe during an emergency. With WEA, alerts can be sent to your mobile device when you may be in harm’s way, without need to download an app or subscribe to a service. You do not need to sign-up for WEA Messages. At this time, however, not all carriers are providing them. AlertMarin emergency messages are sent by the Marin County Sheriff’s Office and our public safety partners throughout the county. We have asked you to sign up to receive telephone calls, text messages, or emails on your mobile device. Our messages often include specific details about a critical event.
    • For more information about WEA Messages please visit https://www.fema.gov/frequently-asked-questions-wireless-emergency-alerts and https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/wireless-emergency-alerts-wea
      Who do I contact if I have other questions?
    • For more information, please email AlertMarin@marinsheriff.org

    Custody Division

    Marin County Jail NEW visiting procedures are as follows:
    • Visitor must schedule visits 24-hours in advance via http://marincountyca.gtlvisitme.com/app or by downloading the GTL Vismobile APP on an Android device or on Kiosk located in the jail lobby. Walk up visits are not accepted. Inmates are allowed 1 (30 minute) onsite visit per day and 1 (25 minute) video visit per day.
    • Weekday Visiting Hours:
      • 9:00am, 9:40am, 10:20am, 1:00pm, 1:40pm, 2:20pm, 5:45pm, 7:00pm, 7:40pm, 8:20pm, 9:00pm
    • Weekend Visiting Hours:
      • 9:00am, 9:40am, 10:20am, 2:00pm, 2:40pm, 3:20pm, 5:45pm
    • Acceptable forms of ID Include: Valid: US Driver’s License or ID, US Passport, US Military ID, Foreign Passport, US issued Consular or Matricular cards. A recent DMV receipt along with an old ID with photo is acceptable. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and must possess a valid school, state ID or passport.
  • General Visit Information: All visitors must pass-through a metal detector. If you have a medical condition and cannot go through the metal detector you will be patted down. Failure to clear the metal detector can result in the denial of your visit. Visitors may be subject to search. Nothing is allowed in the visiting room with the exception of 1 key. A maximum of 3 people are allowed per visit. Visitors are responsible for securing their property prior to the visit. Lockers are available for .25 cents.
    *Minors cannot be left unattended in the lobby at any time. Failure to supervise your child can result in the loss of your visit. Loud or disruptive behavior is prohibited.

  • Attire: The following attire is not allowed: gang affiliated clothing or colors, low hanging pants, revealing clothing such as short shorts or miniskirts, low cut or revealing tops, tube tops/halter tops/crop tops.

  • Inmate trust account: Money can be placed on an inmate's account in one of four ways:
      • Online via www.accesscorrections.com.
      • Telephone - call 1-866-345-1884. *Inmate ID# required
      • Lobby - the ACCESS kiosk located in the Jail lobby accepts cash and credit/debit cards for a fee. Money will not be accepted at the lobby window.
      • Mail - Money orders can be sent to the jail made out to the Marin County Jail. Include the inmate’s name and ID #.
  • You can purchase commissary for an inmate via marinpackages.com.
  • Connectnetwork.com is a service you can use to order links for inmates to purchase: messaging-type of email service, music streaming, games, e-books, FM radio and TV audio for use with a tablet. You can also use Global-Tel Link to set up pre-paid phone calls via Advance Pay or by calling 1-866-230-7761 or through the GTL Kiosk located in the lobby. Books or Magazines must be purchased directly from publisher or bookstore and must be sent to the jail by them to the inmates’ attention. Inmates are only allowed a total of 5 soft-covered books or magazines.

    • The jail visiting has been changed with the vision that it will improve the current conditions that are experienced while visiting individuals at the Marin County Jail. The idea behind having scheduled visits is to reduce the waiting time in the jail lobby and reducing the unsafe conditions that are created when families have to wait during peak visiting periods. The goal is not to reduce your accessibility to loved ones, but to make the process efficient.
    • We are committed to being innovative and providing services that will improve operations at the Marin County Jail. We recently implemented the following new programs:
    • Inmates are allowed unlimited mail during their incarceration. When an inmate receives mail, it is opened and searched for contraband, cash, and money orders. The mail is then delivered to the inmate without unnecessary delay. Inmates may not receive hardback books, catalogues, brochures, or advertisements.
    • Inmates may receive paperback books and magazines as long as they are sent from a bookstore or the publisher. The magazines and books, if not suitable for the jail, will either be returned to the sender or placed in the inmate’s property. The inmate will be notified of the reason for returning the book or magazine and / or why it was placed into their property.
    • New! Electronic Messaging with inmates. The Marin County Jail will now allow inbound electronic messaging with inmates from friends and family who have established an account at securemail.accesscorrections.com
    • Click here for Electronic Messaging
    • Any mail that contains illegal material will not be delivered to the inmate.
    • In accordance with section 851 of the California Penal Code, a person arrested has the right to three free completed telephone calls within the local calling area. The calls will be at the arrestees expense if they are outside of the local calling area. The calls may be made to an attorney, a bail bondsman, or a relative or other person.
    • Once housed in the jail, an inmate has access to a telephone in each housing unit. These telephones can only make outgoing calls. They cannot receive calls. The calls made from the housing unit telephones are either collect or made with prepaid calling cards that are available through the facility commissary. Collect calls can be placed to phone numbers where collect calling is not restricted. Collect calls cannot be made to cellular telephones, answering machines, or third party calls.
    • Under certain circumstances, phone numbers can be blocked so that inmates from within the facility cannot call those numbers. Those circumstances may include, but are not limited to, restraining order violations, harassment, and intimidation of a victim or witness. In addition, the inmate phone system will provide instructions to call recipients that they may block access to their phone numbers from jail inmates.
    • The Custody staff is not allowed to take telephone messages for inmates. If you need to contact an inmate regarding a family emergency or other emergency situation, you may contact the housing Sergeant at (415) 499-7316.
    • Bail is the amount of money that the Courts require to be deposited with them to guarantee that the arrested individual will come to court on the date they are to appear. Court appearance dates are set by the Court. The Jail accepts bail 24 hours a day for inmates in our custody, or inmates in another jurisdiction held on a Marin County warrant.
    • Bail may be posted in the following ways:
      • Cash (US Currency)
      • Postal Money Order or bank money order made out to the Clerk of the Court issuing the warrant or having jurisdiction over the charged individual.
      • Surety Bond issued by a California based company.
      • http://www.yellowpages.com/San-Rafael-CA/Bail-Bonds
    • Cash Advance Bail using GovPay. (credit cards accepted) 888-604-7888.
    • No personal checks are accepted at the jail for bail at any time.
    To view all inmates currently in-custody at the Marin County Jail, click on the jail booking log link under the ‘Find it Fast’ at the top of the page or click Jail Booking Log. If you do not have internet access, call (415) 499-7316. The Jail Booking Log link or jail staff will confirm if the individual is currently in-custody, what charges the individual was booked for, what police agency booked the individual, what the bail is, what the next court appearance date is, and if booked for being under the influence how long before the individual is eligible for release (minimum 4 hour stay). Again, only information on current in-custody inmates will be given. No information will be provided on individuals not currently in-custody.
    Bail information, scheduled court appearances and scheduled release dates can be provided by Marin County Jail staff only in cases involving domestic violence as mandated by the domestic violence act and 646.93 of the penal code. All other inquiries must be directed to the Marin Superior Court at (415) 473-6225.
    • You can send an inmate money through the United States Postal Service. The only acceptable form will be a money order listing the amount, inmate’s name, and person who purchased the money order. If cash is sent, it will be returned to the sender. The inmate receives a receipt indicating the day the money was received and how much was entered into his / her account.
    • Money may also be placed in an inmates account via the internet by accessing www.accesscorrections.com and following the directions on the site. You may also place a commissary order for an inmate by visiting marinpackages.com
    • An inmate will be allowed to release any money they come to jail with, as long as it is within the first 48 hours of incarceration. After the first 48 hours of incarceration, the inmate must fill out a request form indicating how much money and to whom they wish to release the money. That request will then be given to the on duty Sergeant for approval or denial.
    • There are forms available at the jail lobby to convey your concerns to the appropriate medical or psychological staff. Once the form is completed, provide it to the staff member at the lobby and it will be routed appropriately. The form allows for your personal information to be included so that the appropriate staff may contact you at a future time. Medical and psychological staff members are available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week to treat inmate injuries or illnesses. If you believe that an emergency medical or psychological issue exists, you may contact the jail staff at (415) 499-7316.
    • Another resource for families and individuals dealing with mental illness is the National Alliance on Mental illness Marin chapter. They can be found at http://www.namimarin.org/. Under their Resources section, they have information regarding what to do if a family member suffering from mental illness has been arrested.
    • If you need assistance visiting an inmate who has a mental illness, please call Prisoner Services at (415) 473-7268.

    Coroner Division FAQs

    California Law requires the Coroner to inquire into and determine the circumstances, manner, and cause of sudden deaths where the attending physician is unable to determine the cause of death, or the death is the result of homicide, suicide, accidental or undetermined means. It also includes deaths where the decedent has not been seen by their physician within 20 days preceding the death. All deaths in Marin County are not reported to the Coroner Division. Generally, natural deaths occurring in a hospital or medical facility and/or under a hospice physician’s care do not require a coroner death investigation.
    Viewing is not allowed at the Coroner Division. Forensic examinations are generally completed within 24 to 48 hours and most bodies are released immediately after the examination. Relatives are advised to make viewing with a funeral home of their choosing.
    Generally it should not take more than two to three days. Your Funeral Director will coordinate the release on your behalf.
    The Coroner’s Division does not make mortuary referrals. Relatives, religious leaders and the phone directory should be able to assist you in selecting a mortuary.
    • If you are in the process of making funeral arrangements, your chosen funeral home can arrange obtainment of a death certificate(s) on your behalf. Otherwise, death certificates are obtained from the Vital Statistics Division of the Marin County Department of Health and Human Services and from the Marin County Recorder’s Office.
    • Copies of Death Certificates for the current year and previous year can be obtained at the office of Vital Statistics at 10 North San Pedro Rd., San Rafael, CA 94903 / phone (415) 473-6876
    • Death Certificates for all other years are provided at the Recorder’s Office, located at 3501 Civic Center Dr., Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903 / phone (415) 473-6092
    You need to officially request a copy from the Coroner Division. The first copy of reports is free to the legal next-of-kin. You may submit your request via e-mail at coroner@marinsheriff.org, or you may call the Coroner Division at (415) 473-6043 for further details.
    • The Coroner Division may be in possession of personal property belonging to a decedent. The legal next-of-kin may authorize the Coroner Division to release the property to a funeral home or mortuary, or they may obtain the property (or authorize another person to obtain the property) directly from the Coroner Division’s office. In order for a funeral home/mortuary, or family representative to obtain personal property on behalf of the next-of-kin, the legal next-of-kin must send the Coroner Division a notarized letter with consent to release the property to a particular party. The Coroner Division will release property directly to the legal next-of-kin or any person (with valid photo ID) furnishing written authorization signed by the legal next-of-kin. Property is only released during normal business hours. If the property is not released to either a funeral home/mortuary or the legal next-of-kin within 90 days from the date of death, the property may be set for disposal.
    • In some instances, the Coroner Division can mail small items of property to the next-of-kin; shipment and handling costs are paid for by the receiving party.
    • Hours for release of property are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm – (closed from 12:0pm to 1:00pm). Please call in advance to insure someone will be available in the office (415) 473-6043.
    • <.ul>
    • If a decedent’s next-of-kin cannot afford to make arrangements for burial or cremation of their loved one, they can contact the Coroner Division of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office at (415) 473-6043 to apply for the Indigent Disposition / Cremation program. You will be required to complete an application and submit required financial documents to aid in the review process of your application.
    • County Indigent Disposition application (fillable PDF)
    • Tissue, Organ, and Body Fluid Retention Notification:
    • If it is determined that an autopsy, external examination or toxicology analysis is required to determine or confirm the cause and manner of death pursuant to California Government Code Section 27491, tissue(s)/organ(s)/body fluid(s) may be retained for analysis and/or evidentiary purposes pursuant to California Government Code Section 27491.4. Tissues/organs/body fluids retained at autopsy or as part of any coroner investigative procedure will be disposed of pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 7054.4

    Civil Division FAQs

    Marin County Sheriff's Office
    Documentary Services / Civil Division
    1600 Los Gamos Dr. #200
    San Rafael, CA 94903
    Most California Codes can be viewed in the California law section of the Official California Legislative Information website. The primary area for civil actions can be found in the Code of Civil Procedure. The Government Codes regulate the fees that we may charge.
    When legal action is brought to the court, the plaintiff in the case must notify the opposing party. A proof of service is the documentation to the court that the defendant or opposing party has been notified. Adherence to the laws governing service is very important to the ensuing legal action. If the opposing party does not receive proper service, the court cannot impose a permanent order or judgment.
    Substituted service can only be used where permitted by law. If substituted service is available, the documents will be left with a competent adult living or in charge at the address for service. If due diligence applies, substituted service is generally performed after two or three attempts to personally serve. We recommend substituted service to ensure that the documents are served.
    For Small Claims and Restraining Orders that were filed with the Marin County Court, we will file the Proof of Service with the court. For all other documents, the original Proof of Service will be returned to you for filing with the appropriate court.
    For civil documents with a court date, we will adhere to the legal requirements for service.
    There are three main reasons that we were unable to serve documents:
    • The service address was incorrect or incomplete
    • The address information is not current (person or business has moved)
    • We were unable to contact the person or entity to be served
    We will provide you with an Attempt Service Return. This will explain why we were unable to serve the defendant, as well as the dates and times of each attempt. Depending on the type of court document, you may either reset (small claims) or have the order reissued (temporary restraining order). Contact the Civil Division of the Marin County Superior Court for more information.
    No, you have two other options. The first option is to have someone you know serve the papers for you. This individual must be over eighteen and not an involved party. The second option is to hire a registered process server.

    Earnings Withholdings Orders FAQ – Revised May 2016

    The Employer’s Return is usually completed by the payroll representative and contains the status of the earnings/wages for the employee. We will mail you a copy once the completed Employer’s Return is received.
    The employer has 15 days from the date we served the Earnings Withholding Order packet to complete and return the Employer’s Return to the Civil Division of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office. If we do not receive an Employer’s Return, it is up to the creditor to contact the employer to obtain more information.
    The maximum that can be deducted is 25% of an individual’s disposable (net) income.
    You can file a Claim of Exemption outlining existing financial responsibilities, and the amount that you can pay each pay period. You will need to complete and file an original and two copies of the Claim of Exemption (WG-006) and Financial Statement (WG-007) forms with the Marin County Sheriff’s Office for processing.
    The amount shown on the Earnings Withholding Order is the amount due at the time the documents were processed. In addition to the amount shown, daily interest and a $12 disbursement fee per check processed are applied. For further information on the disbursement fee, refer to GC 26746.
    We will need the following information: the location of the court where the bankruptcy petition was filed, the bankruptcy court case number, and the filing date. This information can be found on the face page of the voluntary petition or Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing and can be faxed, mailed, or hand delivered to us. We will notify your employer to stay withholding. The filing of the bankruptcy stays all actions until the bankruptcy is concluded. The creditor will also be notified of the bankruptcy filing.
    Yes. Pursuant to CCP 706.034, an employer may deduct one dollar and fifty cents ($1.50) for each check issued for an Earnings Withholding Order.
    A civil judgment is good for ten years. However, pursuant to CCP 683.120 and 683.130 this may be extended through the court prior to expiration for an additional ten years.

    Evictions FAQ

    A complete guide of your rights and responsibilities can be downloaded from California Department of Consumer Affairs Landlord-Tenant packet website.
    We cannot become involved until the court has issued a judgment, and you have a Writ of Possession of Real Property (EJ-130). For assistance with the process prior to the issuance of the Writ of Possession of Real Property, we encourage you to contact Legal Self-Help, an attorney specializing in evictions, or the yellow pages for eviction services.
    Evictions are contingent on the Civil Deputy’s availability.
    No, it is the property owner or authorized representative’s responsibility to gain entrance to the residence.

    Levy FAQ

    A Memorandum of Garnishee completed by the garnishee will be mailed to you with the status of the levy/attachment indicating what we have received.
    The garnishee has 10 days to complete and return the Memorandum of Garnishee to the Civil Division of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office.
    You have 15 days from the date of the mailing of the Notice of Levy to file a Claim of Exemption. You willneed to complete a Claim of Exemption (EJ-160). The Financial Statement (EJ-165) is optional; refer to box7 on the Claim of Exemption. The forms can be downloaded from the California Courts web site. An original Claim of Exemption and (if applicable) the Financial Statement, plus two copies should be submitted to our office.

    Records FAQs

    If you need to have a ticket signed off, please come to the Marin County Sheriff’s Office, 1600 Los Gamos Drive, Suite 200, San Rafael, CA. Depending on availability we will have a Parking Enforcement Officer or Deputy Sheriff assist you with the sign-off. If your violation involves proof of financial liability, you must go to room C-10 on the court floor for the sign off.
    The price is $2.00 per letter. Notary is available for an additional $15 per letter. You do not need an appointment to obtain one.
    If you are out of state or cannot come to the office, we will be happy to mail the letter directly to the consulate or state agency that is requesting the letter. Send a letter requesting this service, along with a copy of a valid photo ID, your name, address, and phone number; a check for $2.00; and a stamped and addressed envelope with the name and address of the requesting agency to: Marin County Sheriff’s Office, 1600 Los Gamos Drive, Suite 200, San Rafael, CA 94903 Attn: Records Division.
    Information on Megan’s law can be accessed directly on the Internet at www.meganslaw.ca.gov or through the State Attorney General’s website at http://caag.state.ca.us/
    Please call (415)473-7286 to make an appointment. Bring all your paperwork to 1600 Los Gamos Drive, Suite 200, San Rafael, CA. You will be fingerprinted and a current photo will be taken. After your appointment, you will be provided with a narcotic registrant card.
    Office Hours are Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm.
    Contact the Marin County Highway Patrol at (415)924-1100 if the accident occurred in the unincorporated area of Marin County or on the freeway. City police take reports for accidents that occur within city limits.
    Certain records are subject to limited access. The cost of a report is $2 for the first page and $1 for every page after that.
    In order to be sure your right to privacy is not violated; valid ID must be seen before the release of any information.
    Contact the arresting agency for the Petition to Seal. Instructions are on the back of the form. The sealing of juvenile records is different from that of adults. Contact the Marin County Probation Department’s Juvenile Services Division at (415)499-6659 for more information regarding sealing your juvenile record(s).
    If the property in question is evidence, the Marin County District Attorney’s Office must authorize its release. Otherwise, you must contact the Sheriff’s Office Property Clerk at (415)473-6820. You must call and make an appointment to pick-up your property.

    Fingerprint/Live Scan FAQs

    The Marin County Sheriff’s Office.
    A valid photo identification card is any current ID issued through the United States government. A couple of examples are: state driver’s license (DMV issued), state identification card (DMV issued), United States passport, United States issued VISA, United States issued Alien Registration/Immigration/Green Card, or United States Military ID Card. We cannot accept identification from other countries or expired identification!
    You can obtain a California driver’s license or state identification card from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Additional info can be found on their website at California Department of Motor Vehicles or by contacting them at 1- 800-921-1117 or 1- 800-777-0133.
    Live Scan is the electronic process used to obtain fingerprints. Fingerprints previously were obtained using ink and cardstock quality cards. In the past ink cards took months or even years to analyze. Technological advances now enable us to digitally obtain prints, and then electronically transmit the images to the Department of Justice for review.
    Yes. Our San Rafael office is by appointment, only and can be reached at 415/473-7286. You may also schedule an appointment for the San Rafael office location online at: Live Scan Appointment. The Marin City substation offers same day appointments; subject to staff availability and can be reached at 415/473-5394.
    You must bring a completed Live Scan request form (triplicate form or three copies with at least one original), a valid identification card, and fee payment. The fees can be paid by an agency billing number (established by DOJ prior to appointment), cash, or check.
    The agency requesting the background check will provide this form to you. A generic Live Scan form can be downloaded from the Attorney General’s website. However, the agency information must be completed. Since some licenses or certificates require a specific form, you should contact the requesting agency prior to being fingerprinted.
    The first copy will be kept by the live scan operator (MCSO), the second should be returned (by the applicant) to the agency that requested it, and the third is for the applicant to keep. Due to the number of applicants we print, we are unable to make copies for you.
    The fees are composed of a rolling fee, Department of Justice (DOJ) fees, and if applicable Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fees. The DOJ and FBI fees vary depending on the level of service requested and range from $0-120. Our rolling fee is $30. We accept cash or check.
    Yes. An agency can request a billing number from DOJ that will bill both the DOJ and FBI fees. Please contact DOJ at (916) 227-3828. Our office can bill the rolling fees to agencies located within Marin County only.
    A rolling fee is the fee that the fingerprint provider charges to take (roll) the fingerprints. Each agency determines their fee.
    There are two main reasons why an individual needs to be printed more than once. First, a criminal background check is performed each time a person is printed. Once that background check is complete and sent to the requesting agency, it is no longer valid. Second, state and federal laws prevent a government agency from saving and sharing an individual’s fingerprints without their consent. This is a constitutionally protected civil liberty. The only exception to this would be prints taken for the purposes of certain licenses and in criminal arrest, conviction, or law enforcement investigations. Certain licenses require that fingerprints be saved with the agency issuing the license. However, neither the justice department nor the agency that obtained those prints is legally permitted to share the prints. Fingerprints that are taken for a criminal arrest, conviction, or investigation can be saved for use in the justice department only. In both situations, they cannot be shared without the consent of the individual, judicial intervention, or next of kin notification through the coroners’ office in the event of an individual’s death.
    • A persons prints can be rejected for a variety of reasons. The most common reasons are due to the quality of the prints or clerical errors. The notification should contain an explanation for the rejection or you may contact the DOJ for clarification.
    • In most instances, you will need to resubmit your prints for evaluation. If we performed the original printing, and the rejection is due to poor ridge detail or a clerical error on our part, we will waive our rolling fee for the reprint. In order to waive our fee, we must have a copy of the original completed live scan form, the rejection letter from the DOJ or FBI, and new live scan request forms.
    • If the rejection is due to poor ridge detail, you may need to be reprinted up to three times, before it will be accepted. A fingerprint technician at the DOJ or FBI will review and compare the prints to ensure that they have been obtained from the same individual.
    The DOJ and FBI generally waive the fees for reprints. We will waive our rolling fee in the event that 1) we performed the original print, and 2) the error was due to poor ridge detail or error on our part. In order for our office to waive our rolling fee, we will need a copy of the rejection notification from the State or FBI, a copy of the original live scan request form containing the original ATI number, a copy of the original payment receipt (if applicable), and a new live scan request form.
    In many cases, yes. The most common solution is hydrating the skin. We suggest using water based lotion, such as Corn Huskers, for several consecutive days prior to being printed. However, on the day of the appointment, do not use any lotion. Oil based lotion leaves an oily residue that prevents us from obtaining usable prints.
    In most circumstances, yes. You will need forms, payment information, and an appointment for each agency that is requesting the information.
    For information on how to obtain a copy of your criminal record, please refer to our Record Review Process.
    No. For information on how to obtain a copy of your criminal record, please refer to our Record Review Process.
    Yes. However, we can only provide cards for the FBI. Availability of the cards should be confirmed when scheduling an appointment. For all other states, the applicant must obtain the ink cards for the state requesting the prints. Although many states provide Live Scan services, the systems cannot communicate due to either technological or legislative differences.
    As of June 2005, the state of California no longer accepts ink prints. California now uses the Live Scan service exclusively. Since California does not accept ink prints any longer, we do not have the ink cards for applicants.
    You will need to download and complete the Applicant Live Scan packet from the Department of Justice web site. If you have additional questions, please contact the Applicant Program division of the DOJ at P (916) 227-3828.

    Appeals must be received within 21 calendar days of issuance, or within 14 days of the mailing of the Notice of Citation. Appeals received after the timeline allowed by law will not be considered, even if they were postmarked before the deadline.

    Parking Enforcement

    The Marin County Sheriff’s Office issues Preferential Parking Permits to residents on specific streets in the areas of Kentfield and San Quentin Village. The Permits allow the holders to park in excess of the posted time limit on streets posted with that permit type, but not longer than the 72 hours mandated by California State Vehicle Code
    No. Permits are valid only within the specific residential areas. If your permit type does not match the posted signs, your permit is not valid in that area and your vehicle may receive a citation.

    IMPORTANT: Residential permits are NOT valid on the College of Marin Campus (COM). The College requires all vehicles parking on COM property to purchase or obtain a valid COM parking permit from their office.
    Permits are free at this time. Residents may apply for two permits per household.
    We do not issue permits for guests or construction. When possible, we recommend parking your permitted vehicle on the roadway and allowing your guest to park in your driveway or other off-street parking spot. If you have multiple guests, or construction, please contact the Kentfield Parking Enforcement Officer to work out a solution for a limited basis. While we understand that many contractors and workers need to have their vehicles close by for various reasons, construction vehicles must adhere to all vehicle code regulations. Vehicles parked in posted No Parking, red zones, in front of fire hydrants, facing the wrong way, etc., will be issued a citation.
    Parking Permits are a static cling decal that should be placed on the inside of either the lower left corner of the front windshield (above the VIN), or in the lower left corner of the rear window. Do not place the permit in the rear window if your vehicle has tinted rear windows – if your permit is not visible, it will not be honored.
    Your vehicle must meet three requirements in order to be eligible for a Permit:
    - Registered to a qualifying residential address in Kentfield or San Quentin Village
    - Currently registered with the DMV
    - Have no outstanding parking or toll violations on your registration

    Please note: Vehicles must be registered to a physical address. The DMV allows for both a physical and a mailing address on each vehicle’s registration. To ensure that residents are the only recipients of Permits, vehicles registered solely to a PO Box will not be eligible for a permit. If your vehicle does not meet the criteria, you will receive a letter advising you why the application was declined.
    To avoid receiving a citation, please notify the Kentfield Parking Enforcement as soon as possible of any changes to your permitted vehicles.
    No. Placing a permit in any vehicle other than that to which it was assigned will cause that permit to be immediately and permanently voided. Vehicles found with false permits will be cited for overtime.
    If you believe you received a parking ticket in error, you may contest the citation by following the instructions on the reverse of the citation. If you have questions, or need to speak to the Parking Officer, please call 415.479.2311, Monday – Friday 830am – 4pm, and ask to speak to the Kentfield Parking Officer. You may also contact us by email at parkingenforcement@marinsheriff.org

    Remember, your parking permit only allows you to park over the posted time limit. You may receive a citation if your vehicle is found in violation of any other Marin County code or State Vehicle Code.
    No, if you have a valid handicap placard or handicap/veteran license plate, you do not need a Permit. When properly displayed, handicap placards permit the holder to park in excess of the posted time limit. IMPORTANT: Placards may only be used when the handicap placard holder is with the vehicle. They may not be used by caretakers, relatives, etc, unless the placard holder is being transported. Vehicles may be cited for misuse (fine starting at $500). It is considered misuse to use a placard not assigned to you, placard holder not being transported, placard holder deceased, to report a placard lost/stolen in order to obtain a new one to give to another person.
    Per CVC 40215(a), you may appeal a citation you feel was issued in error by going online to www.citationprocessingcenter.com, or by mailing a written appeal to the following address:

    Marin Parking Authority
    c/o Citation Processing Center
    PO Box 10479
    Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479
    P (800) 989-2058

    Appeals must be received within 21 calendar days of issuance, or within 14 days of the mailing of the Notice of Citation. Appeals received after the timeline allowed by law will not be considered, even if they were postmarked before the deadline.
    First level appeals cannot be made in person. Individuals requesting to contest a citation in person at the Marin County Sheriff’s Offices will be provided with a form to enter their appeal. The appeal will be uploaded and handled in the same manner as appeals that are done online or by mail. There are no “on the spot” appeals.
    Per CVC 40215(b), if you are unsatisfied with the results of your Administrative Review, you may request an Administrative Hearing. You must make the request no later than 21 calendar days following the mailing of the results of the Administrative Review and submit payment for the citation. Please follow the instructions provided on the reverse of the Notice of Administrative Review.

    NOTE: The postmark does not matter, to further appeal it must be physically received by the end of the 21st day.

    If you are unsatisfied with the results of your Administrative Hearing, you may Appeal the citation to the third and final level, Traffic Court. You will be required to pay Traffic Court fees.
    Parking citations issued for expired registration, missing registration tags, and missing license plates are usually correctable (fix-it) violations. Parking citations for fix-it violations may be reduced to $10.00 per violation if proof of correction is received within 21 calendar days of issuance. After correcting the violation, you may obtain proof of correction by having any law enforcement officer or DMV authorized representative complete the Certificate of Correction located on the back side of the citation.

    If you received a moving citation (traffic ticket) for a correctable violation, please follow the instructions on the reverse of the citation. Moving citations are handled by the courts, and may have different fees associated. Citations received for insurance violations may only be certified by the courts.

    PLEASE NOTE: You may receive additional citations for the same fix-it violation(s) until registration or license plate violations are corrected, regardless of having already received a citation for the same violation.
    If you are unable to locate your citation information online at www.citationprocessingcenter.com, you may call the Citation Processing Center at P (800) 989-2058 to pay or obtain citation information. Citation payments can be mailed to:

    Marin Parking Authority
    c/o Citation Processing Center
    PO Box 10479
    Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479
    P (800) 989-2058
    No. The MCSO does not handle any parking citation payments on site. Payments may be made online, by phone, or by mailing check or money order to the address listed above. Payments made online or by phone are subject to a convenience charge.
    If you qualify for indigent status, you may be able to enroll in a payment plan at a reduced rate of $5. See information for indigent persons. If you do not qualify for indigent status, you may still enroll in a payment plan after paying the required fee of $25. Please contact the Citation Processing Agency P: (800) 989-2058 and request a Payment Plan. Proof of Indigence
    If a citation remains unpaid after 35 calendar days, you will lose your right to appeal the citation and late fees will start to accrue. The first late fee applied will be double the citation amount, up to a maximum of $150 per violation.

    If the citation remains unpaid, additional late fees will be accrued, a hold will be placed on the vehicle registration preventing registration until the citation is cleared.

    If the citation continues to remain unpaid, a hold may be placed with the Franchise Tax Board and/or the citation may be sent to a third party for collections.

    Per CVC 22651(i), a vehicle with five or more unpaid parking violations may be towed if it is located parked upon a public roadway or public parking lot.
    A box is checked on the yellow warning sticker advising the violation warning. The most common reason for a Yellow Tag is cars being parked for extended periods of time. Per California Vehicle Code 22651(k), vehicles are prohibited from parking for longer than 72 hours on any public roadway. If we observe or receive a complaint that a vehicle has been parked in excess of 72 hours, we will tag the vehicle with a yellow abatement tag. This tag is not a citation, it is a warning to the registered owner that the vehicle must be moved or the vehicle will be towed. Yellow tags are meant as a courtesy and are not required. Please do not wait until you see a yellow tag on your vehicle.

    The second most common reason for a yellow tag is the vehicle registration is expired in excess of 6 (six) months and/or and has a Planned Non-Operational (PNO) registration status. In this case the vehicle must be moved to private property/driveway within 24 hours to avoid towing. A parking citation for the registration may accompany the yellow tow warning sticker.

    Online Reporting FAQ's

    If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If a non-emergency, call 415-479-2311 or visit the Marin County Sheriff's Office at 1600 Los Gamos Dr., #200, San Rafael, CA 94903
    If the crime took place outside of the unincorporated areas of the County of Marin, please contact the police department for that city. You may not file your report here, except for a report surrounding identity theft. Identity theft may be reported at any agency, regardless of where it may have occurred.
    If your crime took place on a Freeway or Highway, please contact the California Highway Patrol at 800-835-5247
    A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime, or when you have clear identifying information like the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.
    If you don’t have a valid email address where you can send and receive email, you can sign up for a free account at many sites including Google and Microsoft Outlook. Otherwise, please call (415) 479-2311 or visit the Marin County Sheriff's Office at 1600 Los Gamos Dr. #200, San Rafael, CA 94903.