As a native of California, Sheriff Robert T. Doyle was born in San Francisco and raised in Daly City. Sheriff Doyle and his wife Linda reside in Novato, where Sheriff Doyle has been a resident for 49 years. He has an adult daughter, Caitlin. Sheriff Doyle served in the United States Army from 1966 to 1969 in California, Oklahoma, Germany, and Vietnam. He attended California State University Sonoma where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree with an emphasis in Criminal Justice.
Sheriff Doyle joined the Marin County Sheriff’s Office in November 1969. Since his hiring, Sheriff Doyle has served in the Patrol, Custody, and Court Divisions. He has worked as a supervisor in the Patrol Division the Custody Division. Sheriff Doyle has commanded both the Southern Marin Patrol Station and the Marin County Jail. Between 1969 and 1989, Sheriff Doyle has served in multiple Divisions achieving every Merit System classification (Deputy Sheriff, Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain). In December 1988, he was appointed Undersheriff. In March 1996, then as Undersheriff Doyle, he was appointed as the Sheriff of Marin County. Sheriff Doyle was re-elected in June 1998, March 2002, June 2006 and June 2010. In June 2010, he was re-elected Sheriff-Coroner, and again in June 2014, and June 2018.
As a parent and community partner, Sheriff Doyle has served as the Treasurer of the Novato Youth Soccer Association. He is a member of several law enforcement professional associations. While serving as the Sheriff of Marin County, Sheriff Doyle has been participating in the following list of associations:
- President California State Sheriffs’ Association 2004/2005
- Two Term President of the Marin County Police Chiefs’ Association
- Officer of the California State Sheriffs’ Association
- Chair, California State Sheriffs’ Legislative Committee
- Appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger as member of the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
- Appointed by Governor Wilson to represent the State Sheriffs on the State Task Force on Court Facilities
- Co-Chair Marin County School/Law Enforcement Partnership
- Member of a variety of Law Enforcement Committees
- Past Treasurer of Novato Youth Soccer Association
- Executive Committee, Fight Crime/Invest in Kids California