Mitigation is the effort to reduce loss of life and property by lessening the impact of disasters. This is achieved through risk analysis, which results in information that provides a foundation for mitigation activities that reduce risk, and flood insurance that protects financial investment. Mitigation is any action taken to reduce or eliminate the long-term risk to human life and property from natural hazards and terrorism.
- FIRESafe Marin – a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing wildland Fire hazard and improving Fire-safety awareness in Marin
- How to Strap Your Water Heater
- ABAG Home Quake Safety Toolkit – Provides information on what you can do to protect your home
- FEMA Seismic Rehabilitation Cost Estimator
- FEMA Mitigation Fact Sheets & Frequently Asked Questions
- Pay A Little Now or A Lot Later – An examination of what governments & corporations have done about disaster mitigation since the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake