CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITS
The Marin County Sheriff's Office will fairly and impartially consider all applications to carry firearms in accordance with applicable law and this policy.
Per the Supreme Court’s ruling in New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, requiring an applicant to establish ‘good cause’ to get a carry permit is unconstitutional. To comply with the ruling, we will no longer enforce this requirement or require applicants to demonstrate good cause to qualify for a license to carry a firearm.
Prior to submitting your application, please check your address at: http://gis.marinpublic.com/lookup/JurisdictionLookup/default.aspx.
If your address is within unincorporated Marin County, you can submit your CCW application with the Marin County Sheriff’s Office. If your address is within the city limits, you will need to submit your CCW application with the local municipality in which you live.
Initial application fee includes DOJ Livescan Fingerprints (non-refundable) $132.00
Psychological Exam (To Be Determined by Doctor Administrating Exam)
Firearms Training (To Be Determined By Firearms Instructor)
Issuance permit includes processing fee $125.00
Renewal permit includes DOJ Livescan fee, roll fee, processing fee $201.00
Modification fee to add/withdraw firearm from permit $ 15.00
Initial Application Instructions-Read Carefully
NOTICE! FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY SECTION OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN DELAYS IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION.
- You must be a full-time resident of Marin County who can legally own, purchase and possess a firearm in California to receive a CCW license. All applicants must complete a psychological evaluation and undergo a background check, including an applicant interview and reference checks.
- Complete the California State Standard Application online at: https://marinca.permitium.com/ccw/start
- Obtain and submit with your application:
- Valid CA Driver License or CA ID Card
- Your current Marin County address must be on record with the CA DMV
- Proof of residency: Copies of two (2) consecutive statements that reflect your name and your Marin County address from one of the following service providers:
- Water, Garbage
- Home Internet
- Home Phone
- Credit Card Statement
- Bank Account (Mortgage account and property tax statements NOT accepted.)
- Letters of reference from three separate individuals. If you cohabitate with someone, one of your references must be the person you cohabitate with. Note: Penal Code 26202(b)(2) requires us to contact your references directly. Please let them know they should expect a phone call or email from a Sheriff’s Office investigator. References not responding to us is the most frequent delay in getting licenses approved.
- IF APPLYING FOR BUSINESS-RELATED PURPOSES. PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOUR APPLICATION SUBMISSION:
- Business owners only: Copies of any licenses required by local, state and/or federal Business or Professions Codes. It is your responsibility to ensure that compliance with all licensing requirements is met. If you operate a business from your residence, you should check with your local jurisdiction regarding business licenses.
- Livescan requirement: Once you have applied online and submitted the required documents, schedule a Livescan fingerprint appointment. Livescan appointments can be scheduled at: https://apps.marincounty.org/LiveScanApp
- When your Livescan results are received from the California Department of Justice, your application will be reviewed, and you will be scheduled for your applicant interview by your assigned investigator.
- If the Sheriff determines that your application does not meet state requirements, a denial letter will be sent to you providing the reason(s) for denial and advising you of your right to appeal.
- If the Sheriff determines your application meets the state requirements, we will begin the background investigation process and you will be notified of the psychological evaluation PC 26190 and training requirements PC 26165. NOTE: Regardless of the result of the background investigation, your license will not be issued without completion of the psychological evaluation and required training certification.
When your background has been completed you will be requested to make the final payment and schedule an appointment to pick up your license from the Sheriff’s CCW coordinator.
Marin County Sheriff's Office APPROVED TRAINERS
Petaluma, CA 94954
2A Firearms Academy
Bay Area Tactical Group (BAT Tactical)
235 Westlake Center #396
827 Cherry Ln, San Carlos, CA 94070
Coco Firearm Training LLC
Book your course at:
Crosshair Training, LLC
Dennis Jamarck, Jr.
DEFENSIVE ACCURACY, LLC
Execushield Training Center
Marco Innocenti &Michelle Wagner
Paladin Tactical US
Classes in Concord and Novato
Progressive Accuracy Training Group, LLC
Ziyad “Zip” Showket
(415) 497-1983 (call or text)