News & Press Releases

keyboard_arrow_leftView All

Subject Arrested After Standoff in Richardson Bay

Arrested: Paul Ray Smith Jr., a 53 year old male, Sausalito, CA

On March 17th, 2021, The Richardson Bay Area Regional (RBRA) Harbormaster was towing a vessel from the anchorage when a subject started to follow. The subject in the boat behind the Harbormaster, later identified as Paul Ray Smith Jr., appeared to have a pistol-type object in his hand. The subject fired a flare from a flare gun at the Harbormaster, but it did not reach his vessel. The Harbormaster towed the vessel back to the Army Corps of Engineers. Later in the day, the subject who fired the flare arrived at the Army Corps of Engineers dock and a verbal argument ensued.

On March 23rd, 2021 around 8:00AM, Deputies attempted to contact Smith on his vessel “Projectile” located within the Richardson Bar Area Regional anchorage. When Deputies boarded the vessel in attempt to interview Smith, he was argumentative and retreated into the cabin of his vessel. Smith returned with a pistol in his hand, Deputies drew their firearms and ordered Smith to drop the pistol. Smith refused and retreated into the cabin of his vessel. Smith then began to point the pistol out of a window on the vessel toward our Marine Patrol Vessel and in the general direction of the Deputies. 

In an effort to de-escalate the situation, the Deputies retreated and left the area of the vessel. Deputies continued to utilize alternate options of contacting Smith over the last week to interview him about the incident on March 18th to no avail. A search and arrest warrant were obtained for Smith and his vessel.

On April 2nd, 2021 around 2:30PM, Deputies with our Crisis Negotiations Team (CNT) attempted contact with Smith via his cellphone and informed him that we had a warrant and wanted his peaceful surrender. Smith was rambling and refused to surrender. Smith informed us he had a bullet proof vest and would not surrender. Over the next four hours, Deputies continued to attempt to get Smith to surrender but he refused. We used all de-escalation tactics available, but none were effective. Special Response Team (SRT) members on-scene deployed less-than-lethal options a multitude of times, attempting to get Smith to surrender but he continued to refuse. We then utilized distraction devices, bean bag rounds, Conducted Electric Weapons (taser) and CS Gas but Smith still refused to cooperate and surrender. Smith attempted to stab Deputies multiple times with several long stabbing instruments.  

Deputies towed Smith’s boat back to the Clipper Yacht Harbor and were eventually able to take Smith into custody. Smith's boat inadvertently caught fire during the operation and it was determined his dog on board was forced into a small area where it could not escape. The dog was located deceased after the fire was put out. 

Smith was booked into the Marin County Jail on the following charges:

246 PC

1203.2 PC

417(C) PC

69 PC (two counts)

6.04.090.(f) HNC (Harbors and Navigation Code)

245(A)(2) PC 

245(C) PC

148(a)(1) PC

597(B) PC

This investigation is still continuing and no further information will be released

Contact: Sergeant Brenton Schneider at